To help us develop children’s knowledge and understanding of the world. Each term, children will bring home either one or two documents called a Knowledge Mat. This document contains the essential knowledge that children will need to know as part of the topic they are studying in class. These Knowledge Mats are designed to be used at school during lessons and at home. Parents can help children learn the information contained on the mat. We want every pupil to be able to recall the information on these sheets off by heart or in their own wording by the end of the topic. The best way to use the Knowledge Mats at home is as follows –
- Children read the information from the section to be learned (possibly with an adult)
- They then try and recall the information (this can be written down or verbally)
- An adult tests them on the information
- The key to success is to repeat this regularly
- It is also important to keep revising the information that has already been learned to keep it fresh in the memory.
We are confident that these Knowledge Mats will help our children to develop knowledge on a wide range of topics and will significantly improve their vocabulary. This, in turn, will make them more confident in class and help to develop their reading and writing skills.