Frequently asked questions

I want to get a paper copy of one of your documents posted on line, what do I do?

Paper copies of all our documents are available, free of charge, from our school office.

What if my child needs to take medicine?

If your child needs to take medicine during the school day for chronic or life threatening conditions e.g. Asthma or Diabetes, we will make arrangements for this. You will be asked to give clear, written instructions for the administration of such medicines and your written consent.

Please do not send your child to school with any medicines or tablets which they will then be leaving in their coat or draw.

Medicines for short-term illnesses can usually be given to avoid your child’s school day being disrupted.

We do have members of staff authorised to give medication. A consent form does need to be completed and is available from the school  office.

How do I pay for school lunches?

All meals must be paid for via your child’s Parentpay account, except those eligible for Pupil Premium Free School Meals. Please speak with the office if you think you may be eligable. 

Who do I make cheques payable to?

All payments to school should be made via your child’s Parentpay account.

How do I arrange for my child to be registered as a vegetarian or special diet?

We provide a vegetarian lunch option every day. However, if your child needs a special diet, we will do everything we can to accommodate this. Please get in touch with our school office on 0114 288 3878 and we will see how we can help.

What sorts of things are acceptable in a packed lunch from home?

We are a Healthy School and would insist that a packed lunch from home supports this initiative. No fizzy drinks or chocolate bars.

We have a number of children with nut allergies, please therefore do not send any food to school containing nuts.

Keep crisps to a minimum, replacing them if possible with fruit, yoghurt, cheese or vegetable sticks.

What do I need to do if my child needs to be taken out of school for medical appointments?

Please contact our office on 0114 288 3878 to arrange the necessary forms. 

I would like to take my child out of school during term time for a holiday?

The Government has introduced an ‘Exceptional Leave During Term Time’ Policy which states that children may only be taken out of school for exceptional circumstances. If you want to request leave, a form needs to be completed. These can be downloaded from this site by clicking here . They are also available from the school office. They must be completed at least 20 days before the start date of requested leave.

What happens if my child becomes ill during the school day?

Occasionally, children become ill whilst at school and if this should happen, a member of staff will contact you for you to come and collect your child. It is important for any telephone contact details to be kept up to date on the school’s system so that we can reach someone as soon as possible. On collection from school, a member of staff will sign your child out of school. We would ask that no child who has been absent be sent to school until they are fully fit. If your child is taken ill after 10 am and has ordered a hot school lunch, unfortunately, the lunch cannot be cancelled and you will still be charged.

When should I inform school that my child is too unwell to attend school?

An answer machine is available to leave a message overnight. Please call All absences should be reported by 9am, where possible. Should your child not be marked in the school register as being present, the school office will contact you to find out the reason. You need to leave a message each morning your child is absent unless you have spoken to a member of staff who is aware how long your child will be off school.

How long should I keep my child away from school after being ill?

Please do not send your child back to school until they are fully recovered. Should your child have had sickness or diarrhoea, he/she needs to be kept away from school for 48 hours after the final vomiting or bout of diarrhoea.

What should I do if my contact details change?

Amendment forms are available from the school office. Please complete the form and return as soon as possible so that our records can be updated and you can be contacted should there be an emergency.

Does the school have a uniform policy?

Details of the School dress code and how to order uniform can be found on the Uniform page of our website.


Where can I park around school ?

Unauthorised vehicles do not have the use of the school car park particularly for “picking up” or “dropping off” children at the start or the end of the school day. Please do not park on the double yellow lines directly outside the school gates as this is very dangerous. If you choose to park around the school, please ensure that you park considerately for our local residents. The Police monitor the parking around school and have issued fines in the past.


Do you offer Extra- Curricular Activities?

We offer  a variety of Extra-Curricular Activities. Letters will be sent home 7 – 10 days before the end of each half term detailing the clubs available after the half term break.


What happens if it snows? How will I know if the school is open?

Every effort is made in bad weather to keep the school open. If for any reason the school is not open a text message will be sent via Teachers to Parent Mail to all who have provided school with a mobile number and we will post on our Facebook page. School closures can also be found on the Sheffield City Council Website, It is emphasised that the school is never closed early unless in exceptional circumstances. In extreme weather, children will be allowed home if accompanied by a responsible adult.

Can by child walk home alone or with an older sibling?

Please call the school and let us know if you would like your child to walk home alone; then it will not be a problem. Children can also be collected by older siblings with prior consent.

Are mobile phones allowed to be brought into school?

Mobile phones should not be brought into school by children. If you feel that your child needs to have a phone  with them on the way to and from school, please ensure that your child hands the device into the school office on arrival.  It should then be collected  from the office at the end of the day.